Friday, January 4, 2008

PITT FOOTBALL RECRUITING UPDATE(LONG)

When I last updated on Pitt football recruiting and gave my top 10, the date was November 15th. A lot has happened since then. The Brawl victory coupled with the committment of Killa Cam Saddler, Shayne Hale and Jonathan Baldwin, it has been good times for Panther fans. I feel that this is Uncle Dave's best class, but I could say that any year. It is a small class, but it packs a major punch. Pitt is in a scholarship crunch year because they have taken around 50 kids the last 2 years and don't boot kids from the program early(Texas). The Panther class seems full, but Pitt is still inviting a ton of players to this weekends basketball game versus Seton Hall. To update you on where we stand I will briefly list the Pitt commitments, position, and star average between rivals and scout(since Bob Pitt Lichtenfels most certainly bumps Pitt Panthers).



Already enrolled and ready for spring ball:



Greg Cross JUCO QB *** and a half stars

Robb Houser JUCO C ***

Ronald Hobby WR/DB ***



Committed not yet signed



Jonathan Baldwin WR ****

Tino Sunseri QB ***

Zack Stoudt QB ***

Cameron Saddler WR ****

Kevin Harper K ***

Chris Burns RB ****

Mike Cruz TE/DL ***

Lucas Nix OT *****

Antwuan Reed CB 3 and a half

Mike Shanahan WR 2 and a half

Ryan Turnley OL 2 and a half

Manny Williams LB/S ***

Shayne Hale MLB 4 and a half



For those of you who can't count, that is 16 commitments. Pitt is rumored to have at least one spot left with as many as 4 spots left for more players. Out of the Floss' top 10 gets from November 15th, Pitt has nabbed only no. 1, 7, 8, and 10. However, Shayne Hale would have been number 2 on that list had he actually shown interest. The others on that list you ask, no. 2 and 3 were LB's Steve Gardiner and Doug Rippy. They would each have not been so high had Hale been involved. Rippy made a weird choice with Colorado, and the Big 11 called Gardiner with a greyshirt offer from OSU. A 4 star LB prospect is really going to settle with that offer probably. I wish he would come here. However, can't hate a kid for going to his favorite school. He is taking an official here this weekend, Uncle Dave might be able to sell him. No. 4 on the list was Hubie Graham, TE from Scranton. He chose the Fighting Illini. Kind of a surprising pick, but after watching Nate Byham not get thrown the ball and Illinois turning into a B11 power, I don't blame him. No. 5 was Averin Collier, he wants to play running back so he went to Syracuse. I can't blame a kid for staying close to home, but 'Cuse is in terrible shape. At least Pitt is sticking by there underproducing coach that brings in recruits. GRob at 'Cuse isn't going to last there long. No. 6 was Jarred Holley, he is still open on his recruitment with Pitt being the leader currently. His top 3 are Pitt, Iowa, and Virginia. Never will we lose a kid to Iowa, but UVA is scary. If he visits UVA it will be hard to keep him a Pitt lean. I still think we get another 4 star corner, booyah. No. 9 was Terrelle Pryor, he has done good not bashing Pitt in the media, but he should just bash them once and for all. I feel bad that he has all this pressure to stay close to home and play for the Panthers. No way he comes here. I just hope he doesn't go play for DickRod at scUM. Seriously, I hope Michigan never wins another game in the B11. I HATE Rich Rodriguez. I will be a Penn St. homer before I root for that jerkoff.



Tomorrow for the Seton Hall game, Pitt has visits lined up for 9 uncommitted players to visit campus. I will break them down into categories on their chance of getting a remaining ship.



WE WILL LET YOU SLEEP WITH ERICA NICKELS IF YOU COME TO PITT:

AJ Alexander: He is the only one in this heralded group. This kid plays at a loaded position, but I don't care. He ran a 4.31 40 twice this past summer. As Uncle Dave says, "we run faster".

Steve Gardiner: With Dorin moving to TE, LB is more of a need position. This kid had 140 tackles this season. He was the 3rd fastest player at the Pitt combine this summer. I sure hope Uncle Dave can pull this out.

WHY ARE YOU EVEN COMING HERE?:

Vaughan Carraway: He is a stud WR, and would give us another top WR in the state of PA. He is a very solid prospect and could fill out to an OLB(gasp). I think he may be too good to pass up somehow.



GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES, BEG, AND YOU CAN PROBABLY GET A SHIP:

Isaiah Pead: Solid corner prospect. Division 3 POY in Ohio. This kid is probably the backup plan to Holley, but I really like this kid as a prospect. I feel he could really help the team. I think he will end up at WVU. He was originally committed there. Indiana has an outside shot b/c they are in the B11.

Danny Vaughan: I think of him as a Danny. He can play DE or TE. I didn't think he was very good until I watched him play on TV in the state title game. He really needs to commit quick. If he commits, Pead, Carraway, and maybe even Gardiner don't have ships.

WHY IS WANNY TAKING YOU TO DAVE AND BUSTERS?:

Dominick Britt: I think he could have a scholarship if Stoudt decommits for Louisville. I would not be happy about taking him as a 3rd QB. He is a hell of a prospect because of his size. In a year with 25 ships, he would definitely get one.

Justin Virbitsky: With Cruz committing and Vaughan being higher on the list, his visit makes no sense. He has virtually no offers. I really can't believe we are letting him visit.

Joe Trebitz and Jeff Hutchinson: Both are one star prospects from Florida. They are the most expensive official visits. These 2 have no chance at a scholarship. It's a numbers game gentlemen. Enjoy all the free shit though.

Basically, where Pitt stands now is a good spot. This is the first year Wanny really has to worry about scholarship numbers, so I hope he handles it like a pro. It is tough to tell kids no, but he might have to tell a lot of them no. Really it is their fault. In todays World of recruiting, why wouldn't you commit really early? If you are a borderline prospect that might only get 2 to 3 BCS offers, why not commit early? Coaches will still recruit you and you can always de-commit. De-committing isn't even a big deal any more. Just don't ever de-commit without a backup plan. If Ryan Turnley or Ronald Hobby waited to visit now, they would be in the same boat as Danny Vaughan.

Now at 16 scholarships, we have 4 maximum spots left. I think we will fill all 4 spots. Who do I think those 4 will be? I think it will be AJ Alexander, as early as Monday. Penn St. sucked with Alexander. I have no idea why they didn't recruit him harder. Probably their arrogance that they would get Deion Walker. I sure as hell hope Kenny Tate goes elsewhere. Jarred Holley will be a kid that commits soon or LOI day. Sidenote, how bad does he suck at playing the recruiting game? He is the only kid who really seems he doesn't care where he goes to school. He better love Pitt considering he doesn't even want to check out UVA. The last 2 spots I believe going to Josh Jenkins and Vaughan. I said it, Jenkins will be a Panther. This would honestly be one of Uncle Dave's most impressive gets, considering his ranking, position, and where he is from. I know OSU is the leader, but I'm betting on Wanny. He is going to come to campus on January 18th. Dave is going to introduce him to the new O-Line coach Tony Wise. Wise will in turn tell him about how he will get him to the NFL. Jenkins will talk to Luke Nix and JB. He will realize early playing time and the programs upandcomingness(great word), and fall in love with Oakland. The last spot, I'm going to say Danny Vaughan. He is the safe pick. I don't know if Danny will end up with the last spot, but I hope so because Danny Vaughan has a cool name and keeps the pipeline going. I wouldn't mind if Tags took his place either, although he is held up on Louisville. I have no idea why anyone would go to Louisville, it is a shitty shitty city. Of course I'm going to hold out hope that Pryor ends up at Pitt. The only way this probably happens is if he gets arrested or some kind of huge life altering event that keeps him in Pittsburgh. I for one am rooting for this to happen.

Prediction for 2008 record, 10-2 with a BCS bowl loss.

No comments: