Wednesday, October 29, 2008

STRAIGHT SPORTS

Rollercoaster. That is the best term for the Pitt Panthers season. They win tough games and lose easy ones. How does a team go on the road and win three straight, then come back home on Homecoming no less and lose to a team with one team over an FBS opponent? I don't even know. I was nervous all week for a Pitt let down game last week. They delivered.

I wrote that last Friday when I thought I would get back to a pre-ND blog. Oops. I stopped writing it, but honestly, rollercoaster. This team loves to do stuff like this. Quit Playing Games With My Heart is the Pitt theme song during this Wanny era. I just can't even describe the emotion I felt after the 4 OT thrilling win at Fat Charlie's house. I know ND isn't exactly a top 25 team, but a great road win none the less. Some thoughts:

-Pat Bostick won't be confused for Danny Ma any time soon, but he also didn't look like last year Pat Bostick. I went to the Notre Dame website and re-watched the 3rd and 4th quarters. He made some very solid throws. Most came on 3rd down with our backs against the wall. He looked more mobile in the pocket and his footwork was much improved. I think Pat may still have a bright future with this team. Great job by the backup quarterback.

-Shady. Wow. Please come back. Honestly back to the Backstreet Boys hit, how can Pitt's two best players in the last 25 years only be forced to play here for 2 years. Just unbelievable. I think he still has a more than 60% chance to come back to this fine institution.

-Jon Baldwin. I like him a lot. He struggled a bit, but made the big catch. I can't even begin to dream of where his ceiling is at.

-The O-Line. I love them. Only one sack that I remember given up by Joey T, but he still is much improved this year. I love John Malecki. Kid is a warrior. How about CJ Davis stepping into his role at center? Dom Williams came to play in his first start in 3 years.

-Scott McKillop. He better be at worst a 3rd round pick. He probably won't run a 4.4, but he makes so many tackles.

-Andrew Taglianetti. His dad probably hates that he doesn't play hockey, but he is one hell of a football player. It's crazy that he wasn't supposed to be here until January. Then Shane Brooks got booted and Tags stepped in. I hate to be cliche and say he is just a football player, but that's what he is. He is a menace on special teams. 2 blocked punts this year. He is in on a ton of special teams tackles, plus his one tackle on the screen pass this week was awesome. I love him.

-Looking ahead to the L. Pitt is only a 6.5 favorite against a team that just lost to Syracuse and is battling injuries. This is another typical Pitt letdown game. They can throw the rock so naturally the Floss is nervous. Please, just once can Pitt get a blowout. Honestly, the Floss is frightened by a shitty shitty team. Just like RU.

STEEL CURTAIN

For some reason I really see a rebound game for the men in black and gold tonight. Maybe it's because we get back 2 huge playmakers in Santonio and Willie. Maybe it's because the Steelers love playing on Monday night. The Skins only have 10 sacks through 8 games, so the Steelers should be able to protect Big Ben. When he has time we don't lose. Plus the strength of the Skins is Clinton Portis. When has a running back actually beat the Steelers, minus like Fred Taylor in 2001? The most one running back has had against the players this season was LeRon McClain with 63. Plus James Harrison and Woodley were shutout last week. They will not go quietly tonight. Expect a big game from the Steelers tonight.

Flossy Prediction:

STEELERS 24
SKINS 13

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought you might mention how you passed up a ticket to the ND game, but sadly you didn't. Hope you're wrong about the Cards. Too bad that girl with the long legs won't be at the game this year.

Anonymous said...

Not too good of a post. Nice try though. Didn't feel the emotion.

Let's GOOOOO Mountaineers!

Anonymous said...

Dear Floss,

Saw this on youtube and figured you'd get a kick out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS18r2k8JVo&feature=related


-biff

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know what is on the Floss' agenda this weekend?

The Polish Hammer